Grand old club makes comeback
ONE OF the oldest rowing clubs in Queensland is about to be reborn right on the Fraser Coast.
The Wide Bay Rowing Club is the second-oldest club in Queensland and has a proud history, including winning the Queen’s Cup in London in 1924.
The Wide Bay club also enjoyed a huge amount of success in the 1990s, especially with school rowing.
But when the old clubhouse in Wharf Street was demolished in 2005 after the redevelopment of the area, the club had largely been out of action.
The club now has a new clubhouse and the pontoon is now ready and soon the club will be competing actively again.
The club is also hoping to rebuild its relationship with the local schools.
An open day will be held this Sunday to celebrate the reforming of the club, coinciding with Sunday in the Park, which is only a short walk away from the clubhouse where all the club’s equipment and boats are stored.
Past members of the club and those who are interested in taking up rowing or coaching are invited to come along on the day, while members of the public can come along to try out the ergo machine or see the boats in action.
There will also be a sausage sizzle and drinks on the day.
The open day will start at 10am and finish at 2pm.