Menu
News

Holiday plans go up in flames along with caravan

Abby Nelson next to her parents caravan that was extensively damaged by fire at their home in Eli Waters.
Abby Nelson next to her parents caravan that was extensively damaged by fire at their home in Eli Waters. Alistair Brightman

JUST weeks before she had planned to go on a camping holiday with her parents, Abby Nelson could only watch as the family caravan went up in flames on Thursday.

A gas leak in a fridge is believed to be behind the blaze which gutted the van in the yard of an Eli Waters home.

Emergency services were called to the scene after the fire broke out about 2.30pm.

The fire was contained quickly but the caravan could not be saved.

Hervey Bay Police Sergeant Paul Jervis praised the efforts of firefighters who arrived immediately and were able to put out the fire before it spread to the home and neighbouring properties.

Ms Nelson told the Chronicle she and her parents were looking forward to a trip in the van over the Christmas holidays but would now have to make new plans.

Investigations into whether the fridge was faulty are continuing.

The interior of a caravan that was extensively damaged by fire in Eli Waters.
The interior of a caravan that was extensively damaged by fire in Eli Waters. Alistair Brightman

Topics:  caravan editors picks eli waters fire hervey bay



WATCH: Councillor's plan to bring more shade cover to Coast

Staying Sun Smart.

Cr Truscott said the aim was protecting the health of the community.

Mystery surrounds the name of our little mountain range

Current view of Bauple Mountain from where Leichhardt drew it.

Bauple Mountain is of great cultural and spiritual significance.

Potters put on fair dinkum exhibition

Julie Wight in the Bottlebrush Crafts' Australia Day display.

Monthly exhibitions planned

Local Partners