House plans finally take shape
THE happiest 20-year-old in Maryborough was yesterday making final plans to build his dream house after the council reversed its decision to stop him.
“I got the paper work on Thursday,” Joshua Barham said yesterday.
“After the Chronicle published the story in May of how other properties in Sydney Street had been allowed to be developed but I couldn't even build myself a home, the council invited me to resubmit my application.
“They also kindly waived the fee this time.”
Behind the scenes councillor Gerard O'Connell also went into bat for young Josh.
The result was that the council's executive manager development assessment Michael Ellery and his team reversed their decision to stop Josh building at 24 Sydney Street and approved his material change of use application last week.
On the original application Mr Ellery said that Josh's house plan didn't “comply with the State Planning Policy because the land is subject to backwater flooding during a Q100 flood event”.
But the most recent approval to build in Sydney Street was granted in 2009 – two years after the 2007 city plan the council quoted as the obstacle for Josh to put up his house.