Couple living under a time-bomb
ROSEMARY and Tom Arthurs are grateful they didn't lose their Hervey Bay home to fire, or even electrocute themselves after government-funded glass wool was installed unsafely in their roof.
“We have been living under a time-bomb for almost a year,” Ms Arthurs said yesterday.
“We had our batts installed in September last year under the government's Homeowner Insulation Program and on August 1 when the inspector came to check the installation, we learned it was unsafe.”
The Arthurs are furious over the botch up but are even more concerned for other homeowners who are possibly living with faulty insulation.
“The inspector said the batts had been placed over electrical wiring,” Mr Arthurs said.
“This means we have been exposed to fire and even electrocution. I am sure this installer has done other jobs under the government's scheme.
“People need to urgently phone the hotline on 131 789 to have the work done in their homes officially checked out.”
Ms Arthurs is also angry that the original installer's written quote was for $1450 all up and that included $435 for the labour and delivery and $1015 for the materials.
“But when the final tax invoice was handed to us it was for $1600 all up. We didn't have to pay any of that thanks to the rebate but the installers were on the job for no more than 40 minutes.
“I believe the taxpayers should not have to pay for the rectification job.
“The installer who got it wrong should pay.
“Our insulation was rectified last week and the man who did it said he had already done 40 rectifications on foil insulation and five on batts in the Bay alone.”