Brothers Mitch Sartori bowling against Country Wests at Salter Oval. Both teams will be part of a new inter-city competition this season.
Brothers Mitch Sartori bowling against Country Wests at Salter Oval. Both teams will be part of a new inter-city competition this season. DARRYN SMITH

Teething problems for new comp

BUNDABERG'S three A-grade teams will compete in an inter-city competition next season, but they may have to meet Fraser Coast more than halfway for it to work.

Defending Fraser Coast cricket premiers Past Grammars have made it clear they do not support the new concept that will see one game each week played between the two associations.

Instead of a bye, or in Bundaberg's case a game against a division two team, the two sides will clash in a 40-over limited overs fixture.

While Across The Waves, Brothers and Country-Wests are supportive, Grammars' coach Trevor Parry was anything but.

“A bye was actually something we were looking forward to having,” Parry said.

“A bye would enable our guys to freshen up – it would also give them the chance to spend time with their family or do something else other than play cricket.

“We are very happy with the current Fraser Coast competition and as a club we will still be aspiring to win the local premiership – anything other than that does not float our boat.

“Travelling to and from Bundaberg also makes for such a long day and we are not like other sports where clubs can afford to hire a bus to make the trip.

“We only have one team so we will have to car pool making a five-hour game into a nine hour day.”

Waves' president and the major backer of the concept Noel Stitt said his club would do what it took to get the new format up and running.

“We just want to play different sides and play some decent cricket,” he said.

He acknowledged that there was some unrest remaining in the Fraser Coast ranks.

“Hopefully it won't be a case of Bundaberg sides travelling every weekend, but we will do everything we can to get this up and running.”

Fraser Coast Cricket chairman, former Brothers Shamrocks A-grade captain, Wayne Sperling, said he thought the move was a positive one.

“Not all teams were for the idea due to the travel involved, but none were against playing Bundaberg teams,” said Sperling, who took on the chairman's role last month.

“If a club refuses to travel we cannot force them to.

“But just because one team might not travel for one match that was no reason to can it.

“I think this competition will certainly offer a new challenge for our players to face.”

The 15-week tournament will commence on October 2, with a final set down to take place mid-February.

READ MORE ...

Cricketers set to say bye to bye



REVEALED: Councillor to apologise for mail scandal

premium_icon REVEALED: Councillor to apologise for mail scandal

Misconduct allegations were upheld against the councillor

GALLERY: Bay students assist Fijian community

GALLERY: Bay students assist Fijian community

They helped the Fijian community with a number of different projects

Local Partners