Island resorts grab tourism trophies
THE annual Fraser Coast Tourism Awards turned out to be a celebration night for our island resorts.
Lady Elliott Island took out the top gong as best tourism business, while Fraser Island's Kingfisher Bay Resort took out two awards.
Fraser Island Barges won best Transport Operator and to seal a good evening for the Kingfisher Bay team their signature restaurant, Seabelle, was named best 'Restaurant'.
Other winners on the night included:
- Tourism Development projects: Flame Lily Adventures.
- Retailing: Quintessential Fraser Coast.
- Services: Fraser Airport Island Visitor Information Centre.
- Website: Emeraldine Inn and Eco Lodge.
- Hotels: Post Office.
- Wineries: Vintner's Secret.
- Special events: Hervey Bay Triathlon.
- Attractions: Maryborough Portside.
- New business: Coast Restaurant.
- Tour operators: Hervey Bay Whale Watch.
- Adventure tourism: Equathon.
- Eateries: Aquavue Cafe.
- Whale Encounters: Freedom Whale Watch.
- Environmental Tourism: Lady Elliott Island.
- Caravan parks: Australiana Village.
- Hosted accommodation: Alexander Lakeside.
- Budget accommodation: Kingfisher Court.
- Unique accommodation: Riverview Retreat.
- Deluxe accommodation: Emeraldine Inn.
- Young Tourism achiever: Brooke Robertson from Fraser Experience Tours.
- Chairman's award: Equathon.
- Outstanding Individual contribution: Wally and Trish Franklin, "Oceania Project".
The gala awards ceremony was held at the Brolga Theatre and attracted more than 200 tourism representatives.
This is the 11th year the awards have been held which reflects the hard work and professionalism of all tourism related operators and services on the Fraser Coast.