Council lets Sunday Mass go on
A COUNCIL crew went to the wrong church on Thursday – St Mary’s Anglican Church further up the road towards Biggenden – when it was responding to a priest’s pleas to remove a roadworks sign blocking the driveway to his little church in Aramara.
“So I’m now told the crew reported back to the council saying there was nothing blocking Our Lady of the Way church driveway,” Maryborough parish priest Father Paul Kelly said yesterday.
“So the mysterious barrier someone had placed across Our Lady of the Way driveway, the only access we’ve had to our church for 60 years, was still there late on Thursday.”
But not for much longer.
Councillor Gerard O’Connell yesterday phoned the Chronicle to say the bollards had been removed.
The council’s director of capital delivery, Wayne Sweeney, and principal officer of capital delivery, Bryan Hart, had gone to inspect the bollards and had quickly instructed staff to remove them.
Mr O’Connell said a miscommunication had been responsible for the erection of the bollards in the first place but commended the council’s officers for acting so quickly to have them removed.
Father Kelly was thrilled to have the bollards removed in plenty of time for Mass tomorrow.
“I am so grateful the sign is going because I really couldn’t see how I was going to hold Mass on Sunday with no one able to get to it short of scaling the cliff below us.
“We’re coming into Lent and that’s about removing all barriers to God so this is surely a clear sign that we’re on the right path – or driveway.”