Lightning bolt shocks girl, 15
GLENVALE'S Shayna McPaul received the biggest shock of her life when a lightning bolt struck near her home.
Miss McPaul, 15, was tossed a metre backwards across the lounge room floor when electricity surged through her laptop computer which was plugged into a power point.
The lightning struck across the road from her Blue Gum Drive home during a storm about 3.30 on Friday afternoon.
It triggered the safety switch, but not before damaging a stove, a set-top box, another computer and five light fittings.
"I got thrown back, then I stood up and just collapsed," Miss McPaul said.
Her brother Josh dialled triple zero on his mobile phone as mum Anne and dad Doug tended to Miss McPaul who was struggling to breathe.
"I was at the door when it struck and I quickly bolted outside to see if anything was on fire because I didn't realise Shayna had been hurt," Mr McPaul said.
"When I came back in, I was shocked to see her lying on the floor."
Ambulance crews stabilised Miss McPaul at her home then took her to Toowoomba Hospital where she was monitored until being released about 10pm.
"They said I was very lucky," Miss McPaul said.
"It could have been so much worse if we didn't have a safety switch."
Mr McPaul said they had installed the safety switch only three years ago.
He said neighbours had all come outside after hearing the strike, but his house was the only one that seemed to have been affected.
Despite being able to laugh it off now, Miss McPaul said it really brought home the importance of being vigilant during electrical storms.
"I will never use any electrical goods during a storm again," she said.
It could have been so much worse if we didn't have a safety switch.