Breathalyser attached to law

IN THE first half hour of a traffic blitz at Hervey Bay yesterday, police issued a drugs charge and caught several unlicensed and speeding drivers.

Braving the blazing sun and ferocious wind, a team of police from the Wide Bay Tactical Crime Squad locked down Boat Harbour Drive at Pialba to catch traffic offenders heading in both directions.

Operation Maryland began at 1pm yesterday and saw officers doing breath tests, as well as vehicle, registration and licence checks. Officers were expected to do up to 1000 breath tests between the start of the operation and last night.

“We're targeting all sorts of traffic offences, particularly drink-driving, defective vehicles and no plates,” Sergeant Rob Anderson said.

“We've already got someone for drugs and we've issued a few tickets for speeding and things.”

Sgt Anderson said the Tactical Crime Squad did regular traffic operations, including one at Glenwood a few weeks ago.

“We try to do them every couple of months,” he said.

“We haven't had any drink-drivers here yet but we had a guy blow 0.299 at Glenwood during the operation there.

“He fell out of the car.

“He couldn't even tell us where he was from.

“You wouldn't want to be the person driving toward him on the other side of the road.”

Yesterday's operation involved 30 officers, including staff from the traffic branch, who were doing mobile patrols in the area.

One southbound driver was seen to stop and reverse up the road before turning around in a bid to avoid police.

He was caught and charged with unlicensed driving.

Official figures from the operation are expected to be released tomorrow.

Thieves spotting easy steals on Fraser Coast

premium_icon Thieves spotting easy steals on Fraser Coast

Since July more than 50 vehicles across the region have been stolen

Cash splash at Coast hotels for school holidays

premium_icon Cash splash at Coast hotels for school holidays

Tourists are seeing what the Fraser Coast has to offer.

Drug driver jailed

premium_icon Drug driver jailed

He tested positive when intercepted by police.

Local Partners