News

Man charged with 75-year-old Norma's brutal murder

INVESTIGATORS closed in on a 60-year-old Eli Waters man who was on Wednesday afternoon charged with the death of Norma Ludlam.

Norma Ludlam, 75, was transported to Hervey Bay Hospital where she died of horrific head injuries on July 6.

Detectives closed in on Ms Ludlam's accused killer in Eli Waters after weeks of forensic police work.

A 60-year-old man has been charged with the murder of the elderly Eli Waters woman who was found with severe head injuries in her Currawong Court home.

VIDEO: Man charged with Eli Waters murder of Norma Ludlam

Ms Ludlam, 75, was transported to Hervey Bay Hospital where she died of her injuries two days later on July 6.

On Wednesday afternoon police were conducting forensic searches at a home related to the investigation less than 100m away from where Ms Ludlam lived.

Hervey Bay police detective Acting Superintendent Bruce McNab said the charges had been the result of an intensive two-week investigation by police from across Hervey Bay.

He said the man was charged with one count of murder and two counts of assault.

Supt McNab declined to discuss the nature of the relationship between the man and Ms Ludlam.

News of the circumstances of the elderly woman's death left neighbours and the community horrified.

Ms Ludlam's neighbour Kim Rayner, who lived in the street for at least four years, said the past few weeks had been "awful" for the usually quiet street.

She said the neighbours were all paying more attention to what was happening around them.

"All of us are feeling guilty because we never heard anything," she said.

The 57-year-old said news someone had been charged in relation to Ms Ludlam's death had been a "relief".

Family of Ms Ludlam were in Currawong Court yesterday cleaning up Ms Ludlam's home.

The accused man will appear in Hervey Bay Magistrates Court on Thursday July 30.

Topics:  eli waters police



LATEST: Roads start to open, water remains on others

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Authorities are advising motorists not to drive in flood waters.

Driver seen swerving allegedly blows 4x limit

Police said the man was driving a red Holden sedan.

Funding announced for $2.63m Pialba youth precinct

Local Government Minister Mark Furner.

The funding will be announced on Wednesday.

Local Partners