Police negotiate with man who sparked emergency situation

VIDEOS: Man charged following 12-hour siege at Alex Headland

UPDATE 7.30PM: Police have charged a 34-year-old man following an incident at Alexandra Headland last night.

Just after 7pm officers were called to a disturbance at a unit block on Alexandra Parade.

It will be alleged during the course of the incident a man made threats to other people and damaged property. No one was injured during the incident.

The 34-year-old man has been charged with two counts of wilful damage and one count each of threatening violence, serious assault of a police officer, public nuisance and depositing injurious matters on roads.

He is due to appear in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court tomorrow.


EARLIER: A man has surrendered to police after holding them at bay for 12 hours in a siege at Alexandra Headland.

The man was taken into custody about 7.20am.

He is now assisting police with inquires.

His actions overnight spurred Queensland Police Service to initiate a Public Safety Preservation Act about 8.45pm on Thursday.

They had originally been called to the address about an hour and a half before, to reports of a man displaying violent behaviour and threatening the safety of himself and others.


The emergency situation declaration encompassed an area bounded by Mary St, Alexandra Pde, Juan and Mayfield Sts.

Nobody was injured during the incident and no one was evacuated from the area.

The situation overnight drew a crowd at least 40-50, with many standing around in the street in their pyjamas to watch the situation unfold.





Police negotiators worked on the ground via loudspeaker, and standing on neighbouring balconies, to calm the irate man down. 

Throughout the night police negotiators asked the man to put down weapons such as shards of glass, knives, a hammer, a screwdriver and a speargun. 

The police urged the man to talk to them and open the front door so they could help him with medical attention. 

The man had been seen throwing items from the third-floor apartment onto the ground below.

One person posted on Facebook that the man had been throwing chairs out of his unit.

"He tried to get away from the unit at about 7.30 but police blocked him in so he just revved his car and crashed into a wall,'' another said.

"Then he went back to his unit.. I was just walking past with the kids and cop cars came from everywhere.. Hope he can be talked down.. He was very disturbed. Hopefully harmless once calm.''

In January, Alexandra Headland was the scene of a similar drama when a man held a knife to his chest - but in daylight hours - in front of tourists in the middle of a popular park.

The shirtless man man dropped his knife and was surrounded by police officers and police dogs at Nelson Park, off Okinja Rd, about 3.55pm.

Paramedics followed them in quickly to attend to the bloodied man.

He has then carried away on a stretcher and taken to hospital by ambulance.


GALLERY: Fleet blessing lights up to start whale season

premium_icon GALLERY: Fleet blessing lights up to start whale season

The Blessing of the Fleet attracted hundreds

M'boro memorial is world class: Brendan Nelson

premium_icon M'boro memorial is world class: Brendan Nelson

The emotional speech paid tribute to Butchulla men who served

A new way to remember WW1: Prime Minister

premium_icon A new way to remember WW1: Prime Minister

Mr Turnbull's eight-minute speech moved the crowd of hundreds

Local Partners