Maroons set to cut ties with Coolum
IT seems likely the Maroons have bid farewell to Coolum for the last time.
The Daily understands the record-breaking side will sever ties with the Palmer Coolum Resort and not return next year.
Meninga's men yesterday flew to Sydney for Wednesday's State of Origin decider after their final camp at the resort, owned by mining magnate Clive Palmer.
QRL chairman Peter Betros was diplomatic when asked if the Maroons would return, saying no decision had been made.
However the Daily has it on good authority the champion side will find a new home next year, ending their six-year Coolum association.
"Once Origin is over and we've had a bit of a break, we'll look at it," Mr Betros said.
"We haven't made a decision and won't make a decision for quite some time.
"It's no secret we've been at Coolum for quite a few years and everyone is looking for a fresh and different approach."
While the Maroons making camp at Coolum was not a big visitor drawcard, it was fantastic for brand recognition as images and news stories were broadcast around the country.
"It was great for Coolum," Coolum Business and Tourism president Noel Mooney said.
"Put it this way, it's helped them get to seven years in a row, and possibly eight, they shouldn't break with that tradition."
Mr Betros confirmed resorts from Brisbane, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts had approached team management in an attempt to lure the Maroons.