One third of Queensland's coal mines are losing money according to a new report out on Monday.
One third of Queensland's coal mines are losing money according to a new report out on Monday. Lyndon Keane

Miners calls for royalty, rates cuts to save 60,000 jobs

A THIRD of Queensland's coal mines are losing money, prompting calls for the State Government and councils to charge mining firms less to sustain jobs.

 Queensland Resources Council (QRC) chief executive Michael Roche said in the past two years 21,000 jobs had been lost in the industry in Queensland.

He urged the government to protect the remaining 60,000 jobs as a new report on the state of the industry was set to be delivered on Monday.

"These are some of the worst conditions they have faced in decades. Some companies are teetering on the brink."

Mr Roche said there had been a "blow out" in local government rates and wanted to talk to the State Government about a reduction to royalties.

He singled out Gladstone Regional Council and the Isaac Regional Council for rates he considered far too high for liquefied natural gas and coal mining respectively.

"Some of these councils are out of control.

"They simply do not understand the pressures that are facing industry in their council areas."

In comparison, Mr Roche said the nearby Central Highlands Council had imposed a 5 per cent cap on rates.

More on this at ABC News

Should there be more support for coal mines in Qld?

This poll ended on 23 February 2016.

Current Results

Yes. It's worth protecting all those jobs

44%

No. Coal mining is not a sustainable industry

29%

As long as we are not subsidising them

16%

Yes. But ratepayers shouldn't help out

9%

This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.



How ‘abnormally’ hot it’s going to get today

How ‘abnormally’ hot it’s going to get today

Records are expected to shatter across the country over coming days

UPDATE: Search for reported missing person called off

Premium Content UPDATE: Search for reported missing person called off

Emergency services were called to the Bargara shore last night.

Bundaberg 'terror plot': Federal police swoop

Premium Content Bundaberg 'terror plot': Federal police swoop

Man allegedly sought firearms training as part of plot