Glenn Brian Tidyman, 45, will serve five months behind bars for an
Glenn Brian Tidyman, 45, will serve five months behind bars for an "unusual" home invasion. Contributed

Man in home invasion hoped police would shoot him

A DRUNK man looking for a way to end his life pushed his way into his neighbour's home in a terrifying attack in the hopes police would shoot him.

Glenn Brian Tidyman, 45, had crashed into a tree on his way from the pub to his Federal home, before seeking out guns and ammunition in his shed at home.

When his step-son took the guns from him, he went towards his neighbour's house, 50m away, where he knew his appearance would cause friction and the police to be called.

He wanted the police to shoot him, Maroochydore District Court heard yesterday, when he pleaded guilty to the home invasion.

A dispute over the sale of a horse had turned relations between the neighbours sour, but things got worse weeks earlier when Tidyman shot the neighbour's cat, thinking it was a stray menacing his family's guinea pigs.

On the night of April 28 he threw a punch at his neighbour, and then when the family retreated inside their home and locked the door, he kicked it in.

"He has then chased the family through the house," Mr Bain said.

"The 14-year-old complainant's daughter locked herself in her room and jumped out the window to escape.

"The complaints wife and her daughter (16) and son (8) were chased from the house ... the 16-year-old daughter hid under the house away from the defendant."

Solicitor Chelsea Emery said Tidyman's spontaneous decision to involve his neighbours in his crisis only occurred to him when the guns were taken away from him.

"Given he has had previous suicidal thoughts he returned home with the view of solely killing himself," she said.

Ms Emery said Tidyman, a FIFO worker had abused alcohol for 30 years, had sought counselling in the months before the home invasion, and had recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

Judge Douglas McGill said the "unusual motivation" for Tidyman's invasion of his neighbour's home would have been of little consequence to his victims.

"It would have been a terrifying ordeal for the neighbour and his family," he said.

He sentenced Tidyman to 22 months in prison.

He will be released on parole in February next year, after spending five months in jail.

Grand old home on move from Bundy to Bay

Premium Content Grand old home on move from Bundy to Bay

A stunning old Queenslander has found a new home on the Fraser Coast after being...

‘Significant’ spike in dodgy drivers sparks Coast crackdown

Premium Content ‘Significant’ spike in dodgy drivers sparks Coast crackdown

Police issue warning after rise in drink and drug driving and extreme speeding.