Neighbour saves the day after pan catches on fire in unit

A WOMAN has her quick thinking neighbour to thank after she left a pan on the stove which caught on fire on Tuesday night. 

The lady was cooking dinner in her Pialba unit when she decided to go next door for a chat. 

While she was gone the food she was cooking caught on fire and another neighbour was alerted after hearing the smoke alarms.

Station Officer Neil Probert, said a crew was called to the unit after a 000 call from the neighbour around 7.20pm. 

What's been your worst kitchen disaster? Join the conversation below. 

Officer Probert said the neighbour was alarmed after hearing the smoke alarms and seeing smoke come out of the unit. 

After yelling out with no response, the neighbour called 000 and then ran in to find the pan on fire. 

When firies arrived, the neighbour had the pan cooling outside. 

The crew ventilated the unit and spoke to the woman involved. 

"The safety message we want to get across to people is don't leave food unattended on the stove," Officer Probert said. 

He said it happened more than people think, with a similar incident occuring at the Mantra Resort earlier in the week with holiday makers. 

Officer Probert said it was also vital residents had smoke alarms in working order throughout the home. 

Man's body found at local service station

Man's body found at local service station

Police and paramedics were called to the scene on Monday afternoon

SHAME LIST: Fraser Coast drink, drug drivers to be named

premium_icon SHAME LIST: Fraser Coast drink, drug drivers to be named

The Chronicle will publish a list of drink, drug drivers caught.

Local Partners