Christmas behind bars for man on 27 charges
A GOODNA man who police alleged was responsible for a string of robberies across the region will spend Christmas behind bars after his bid for freedom was rejected.
Father-of-four Warren Doyn Cobbo is facing 27 break and enter charges allegedly committed between October 2011 and May last year.
The alleged offences took place in two clusters in-and-around Yamanto, Flinders View and Collingwood Park and Redbank Plains.
Crown prosecutor Peter O'Connor told Ipswich District Court on Friday the Crown opposed bail due to the high risk of Cobbo reoffending.
He told the court the Crown's case against Cobbo was extremely strong and DNA evidence allegedly linked him to the crimes.
Defence barrister Scott Neaves said Cobbo had already spent 368 days in custody and would be defending the charges.
"He has strong ties to the community and there is a very low risk he would reoffend or fail to appear at his next court date," he said.
"He says he is not guilty of the alleged offences and that is why he is going to trial."
Judge Sarah Bradley rejected the bail application, saying he should remain behind bars until his trial in six weeks time.
Judge Bradley earlier dismissed a defence application to have all the alleged offences tried separately - which would have resulted in 21 individual trials.
She rejected a further defence application that claimed Cobbo would not receive a fair trial because a jury could act prejudicially towards him given the number of similar charges he was facing.
The trial is set down to take place in Ipswich next February.