No bail for teen on bashing charge
A TEENAGER accused of viciously bashing a Maryborough cabbie was refused bail when he appeared before Magistrate John Smith yesterday.
James Arthur Steyger was charged with serious assault after the early-morning attack on November 14.
He appeared in custody in Maryborough Magistrates Court represented by barrister Sarah Laikind.
Prosecutor Steve Lord said the taxi driver was assaulted after a female passenger refused to pay a fare.
The 62-year-old taxi driver followed the woman to a Wharf Street hotel where he was allegedly set upon by Steyger.
Witnesses say they saw Steyger wrap his hand in fabric and then punch the taxi driver repeatedly in the eye, cheek, rib and kidney area.
Steyger and the woman then ran off up Richmond Street.
The taxi driver’s right eye was injured severely but the extent of his other injuries was unknown.
Snr Const. Lord said Steyger had been wanted for failing to appear in the Cleveland Magistrates Court on a charge of possessing a knife in public.
The prosecutor said there was a risk Steyger would fail to appear if released on bail.
The 19-year-old nearly tasted freedom last Monday when he was granted bail on the condition he live at the home of a relative in Maryborough.
But the relative refused to have him.
Steyger’s parents and extended family travelled from Brisbane this week and sat hopefully in the back of Maryborough Magistrates Court as another bail application was heard.
Magistrate John Smith refused the application.
“The allegations are of a premeditated offence,” Mr Smith said.
“It’s not acceptable in this community – the public needs to be protected.”
Steyger was remanded in custody and the case set for committal mention on January 18.