We finally know future of Original Maryborough Town Site
ALMOST three years of fighting to save the Original Maryborough Town Site has ended with the Fraser Coast Regional Council opting to halt development plans.
At the council's meeting on Wednesday there was a unanimous vote by councillors to use the site as a nature area with minimal embellishments.
The vote to stop the push for an 89-lot residential development came after $651,000 was spent on designs and reports.
Sandra Armstrong launched the campaign to Save the Original Maryborough Town Site in 2014.
She was in the Hervey Bay council chambers this week when councillors agreed to stop development of the site.
"It's been two-and-a-half years of fighting - even after the heritage listing (of the site) the council was determined to develop on it."
But Ms Armstrong is disappointed councillors did not discuss plans to maintain and improve the site, especially after $500,000 was moved from the project and allocated to sinking the HMAS Tobruk on the Fraser Coast.
"I don't actually think there'll be much done for some time because the budget allocation shifted to the Tobruk," she said.
"It's a disgrace the reeves on the site are taller than I am."
With the fight to save the site consuming a lot of her life, Ms Armstrong was proud to see it won.
"We knew we had the support of a couple of councillors - but without that community support we would still be fighting," she said.
Deputy mayor George Seymour led the fight against the site's development.
He celebrated the victory this week.
"It's a shame it took so long to get here," Cr Seymour said.
"We need to look after the site and love it."
Councillors Stuart Taylor, Daniel Sanderson and Chris Loft have previously supported developing the site.
While expressing his support for a housing development on the site, Cr Loft voted to leave it alone after listening to the views of the community.
How do you think Maryborough should promote it's heritage? Join the discussion and have your say below.