Check the list of Tech Challenge street closures in M'boro
PARTS of Maryborough's CBD will close to traffic on Friday morning and instead become home to human-powered vehicles for this weekend's RACQ Technology Challenge.
The road closures will allow a team of volunteers to begin building the track for Saturday's 24-hour race, using more than 400 hay bales, barriers and fencing.
More than 2000 students will take part in the overnight race on specially-built HPVs.
Queensland's Minister for Science Ian Walker will officially start the race at noon on Saturday.
Fraser Coast Mayor Gerard O'Connell said he would show off the technology challenge's ties to science and education to the Minister.
"We will showcase the event's ability to promote the sciences and education as well as talk to the Minister about government support to grow the event," he said.
Other championship events will be held across Maryborough State High School's campus on both Saturday and Sunday.
Younger racers will face competition in the Smilie Pushcart Championships and the Solar Car and Boat Championships.
University of Southern Queensland will also host activities including 3D printing, slime-making and hydrogen cars.
The fun will begin on Friday for participating students, when judges begin the scrutineering of vehicles before the race.
Time trials for the CO2 dragsters will also be held all day on Friday.
- Kent St from John St to Ferry St will be closed to all traffic from 9.30am on Friday, September 13, until 5.30pm on Sunday, September 15
- John St from Kent St to Sussex St will be closed from 5pm on Friday, September 13, until 5.30pm on Sunday, September 15
- Sussex St from Ferry St to John St will have one lane only open to local traffic travelling only from Ferry St to John St from 5pm on Friday, September 13, until 5.30pm on Sunday, September 15
- Ferry St will be closed between Ellena St and Kent St from 5pm on Friday, September 13, until 5.30pm Sunday, September 15. One lane of Ferry St will be open for local traffic only from Kent St to Sussex St and for traffic flow in that direction only
- McDowell Street car park will be closed from 7am on Friday, September 13, to all vehicular traffic and reopened at 6pm on Sunday, September 15
- An external perimeter of Walker St from Pallas St to Lennox St, Lennox St from Walker St to Alice St, Alice St from Lennox St to Pallas St and Pallas St from Alice St to Walker St will be enforced allowing only local traffic into and out of this perimeter from 5pm on Friday, September 13 until 5.30pm on Sunday, September 15
- Alternative routes will be available to all through traffic. Any vehicles parked on the abovementioned roads after the closure times may be towed away