Pialba Caravan Park has a makeover
WHILE public debate swirls over the future of the Pialba Caravan Park, a $300,000 upgrade to the park began this week.
Earlier this month, Deputy Mayor David Dalgleish created a stir when he put forward the idea that an expanded, privately owned water park would create more revenue for the Fraser Coast than the existing council-owned caravan park on Charlton Esplanade.
On Thursday, however, work began on a revamp of the facilities at the park.
Daniel Poacher, chief executive officer of Win Constructions Queensland, said the project was to replace the existing amenities block with a new one, with men's and women's toilets, showers, family bathroom and laundry.
Mr Poacher said the project would be completed by local suppliers and subcontractors to keep the money in the region.
He said the work would be completed in time for the next rush of visitors to the park over Easter, with the scheduled date of completion April 6.
When the $300,000 tender was won by Win Constructions, there was no shortage of drama in the Fraser Coast Regional Council.
At the meeting in Maryborough, only six councillors remained to vote on the tender as the rest excused themselves from the room for perceived conflicts of interest.
Crs Dalgleish, Les MucKan, Belinda McNeven, Anne Nioa and Gerard O'Connell all retired from the meeting and did not participate in discussion or the vote.
Cr Dalgleish did not wish to comment any further on the future of the caravan park when he was contacted by the Chronicle yesterday.
He said the personal nature of the attacks on him from various members of the public after his initial announcement of the water park plan had persuaded him to remain quiet on the issue.
He said anyone looking for his full opinion on the issue could visit his website, www.daviddalgleish. com.au.