Prevent a winter blaze
MARYBOROUGH fire officers are warning Fraser Coast residents to have their winter electrical goods thoroughly checked before turning them on.
Fire officer Shane Charman said winter was undoubtedly house fire season.
“It's a sad but true fact,” he said.
There are a few short and simple rules to go by when it comes to avoiding house fires.
“An important one to remember is before using any heating devices have them checked by a qualified electrician,” Mr Charman said.
“Make sure that if you're cleaning heating devices to follow the manufacturer's instructions.”
The message could not be stronger that a safety switch is a truly life saving device.
“A safety switch will detect if there is something electrically wrong within a home.
“It will then trip the switch and cut the power,” Mr Charman said.
He said house fires commonly started in the kitchen as it was often an ignition source.
“Heaters are often used in the centre of the house which is often the kitchen,” he said.
“Fraser Coast residents must be vigilant with fire safety.”
Fire alarms are an important part of any home and Mr Charman pushed the importance of having a smoke alarm that met Australian standards.
“It cannot be stressed enough the importance of having an Australian standard smoke alarm,” he said.
Smoke alarms of the Australian standard pick up the presence of smouldering fires which can often be caused by clothing or towels draped over a heater.