Search may now be recovery op
POLICE say a two-month delay in alerting authorities has hampered the search for a Maryborough man who is now believed to have been murdered.
Detectives believe 33-year-old Noel Allan Clark was the victim of a homicide shortly after he was last seen in his home town on May 25, more than five months ago.
At a Maroochydore press briefing yesterday North Coast Regional Crime Co-ordinator Acting Superintendent David Drinnen said police were only notified two months later, despite the unusual circumstances surrounding Mr Clark's disappearance.
Supt Drinnen said the missing man's bank accounts had not been accessed since his disappearance and no contact had been made with friends or family.
“They (the lengths of time) are things that always make it a bit more difficult,” he said.
“When you are able to get these investigations when they are hot and fresh, obviously that does make things a lot easier.”
Supt Drinnen said the State Homicide Squad had joined the south-east Queensland based search for Mr Clark in what is now believed to be a recovery operation.
Mr Clark was seen at Murgon on the morning of May 25 visiting friends. He was last seen at Maryborough Centrelink later that afternoon.
Mr Clark is described as 165cm tall with dark brown hair, a medium build and fair complexion.
Police would also like to hear from anyone who might have seen Mr Clark's blue 1994 Ford Fairmont sedan with Queensland registration 952-LFQ.
“We are looking at talking to all persons associated with the missing person, known friends and family,” Supt Drinnen said.
“Hopefully through these inquiries we can establish some persons of interest.”
Anyone with information which could help police with the investigation is asked to contact Gympie police station on 5482 2111 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or log on to crimestoppers.com.au.
Read more: Fears held for missing Maryborough man