Sever thunderstorms head for SE Qld
At 5.14pm (AEST) on Tuesday afternoon, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) issued a statement warning of severe thunderstorms moving across the south-east corner of Queensland, with Brisbane City, the Gold Coast, Logan City, Gympie, Ipswich, the Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Scenic Rim, Somerset and Redland City at risk.
Murwillumbah on the New South Wales far north coast has already reported hail stones up to 2-3cms, while Dalby recorded wind gusts up to 109km/h.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.