© iStockphoto.com/Pgiam

Boy assaulted 16 times in one night

A BUNDABERG businessman yesterday pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a teenage boy up to 16 times on one night.

John Gerard Greenalsh, 52, of Thabeban, was charged with two counts of sexual assault after he put his hands down the teenage boy’s pants and touched his genitals.

Bundaberg Magistrates Court heard Greenalsh first assaulted the boy, who was known to him, on October 9.

Police Prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens said Greenalsh approached the boy from behind, pulled his shirt out and put his hands down the teenager’s pants and fondled him.

The boy told police in a statement on October 18 that, when he tried to walk away, Greenalsh held him.

“The defendant put his hands down the victim’s pants up to 15 more times during the night,” Sgt Stevens said.

Seven days later, Greenalsh saw the boy for the first time since the initial attacks.

“The defendant hugged the complainant and tried to kiss him but the boy turned his head so the kiss landed on his cheek,” Sgt Stevens said.

“The complainant said the defendant tried to kiss him again but he turned away.”

He said Greenalsh then tried to pull the boy’s belt away from his pants and asked: “Have you done your belt tighter so I can’t get in?”

The teenager replied “yes”. Greenalsh then laughed at him before putting his hands down the boy’s pants and touching his genitals.

He repeated this once more that evening.

Sgt Stevens said Greenalsh had no criminal history, but said he should receive a term of imprisonment.

Defence lawyer Jack Pappas said his client had been sexually abused when he was younger.

He also indicated Greenalsh was confused about his sexuality and had previously cheated on his wife of 31 years with another man.

The defendant’s psychologist appeared via phone and said Greenalsh first believed the boy was “leading him on”, but later admitted he knew his actions were wrong.

Magistrate Jennifer Batts has reserved her sentence until Tuesday.

WATCH: Boy injured after being run over by 4WD

WATCH: Boy injured after being run over by 4WD

The Chronicle understands the boy had upper abdominal injuries

Fire fighters on scene at Brooweena

Fire fighters on scene at Brooweena

This fire broke out about 3pm and crews are working to contain it

WATCH: Cattle escape after truck rollover west of Maryborough

WATCH: Cattle escape after truck rollover west of...

A Maryborough couple has been transported to Hervey Bay Hospital.

Local Partners