Menu
News

FIRE WARNING: Sizzle a sausage not your eyebrows

THE perfect weather for grilling a steak and sizzling a sausage is upon us and firefighters are reminding Fraser Coast residents to be safe when they fire up the barbecue.

The warning comes just two days after two Hervey Bay women received a shock when their barbecue caught alight while they were relaxing in their home.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Hervey Bay station officer Neil Probert said the first thing barbecue owners should do was check their gas cylinders when they were being refilled.

"Ensure that is in test date and that it is not damaged," he said.

Mr Probert said before firing up the coals the gas hose should also be inspected.

"If you can bend the hose and cracks open up then you need to get a new pipe," he said.

The firefighter said gas should not be left on for too long before lighting the barbecue as that could cause a flash or explosion.

Mr Probert urged backyard grillers not to forget their pets.

"Keep your pets away - the dogs love the smell and like to be with their owners," he said.

He said fat spitting from the hotplate could cause serious burns to pets.

Finally, he urged all barbecuers to make sure they left the cooking to a sober adult.

Topics:  fraser coast queensland fire and emergency service



Warrant out for man who stole tiny house and drove it 1400km

The tiny house allegedly stolen by Brendon John Rourke.

The ACT man has failed to come to court on numerous occasions.

McCarthy battles through scorcher, fourth overall

Italian rider Elia Viviani wins stage three of the Tour Down Under from Glenelg to Victor Harbor, South Australia. Maryborough's Jay McCarthy, pictured off Viviani's shoulder in the background, finish the stage tenth overall.

"It was a good day overall but very hot!"

Strategy game to draw in new members

Players drawing hands for a fresh game of Mahjong.

Tutor to teach classic strategy game

Local Partners