South Korea: Divers remove first bodies from Sewol vessel

DIVERS have removed the first bodies from a South Korean ferry that capsized last week with 476 people on board.

All three dead were wearing lifejackets, according to a coastguard official, adding that two were male but the third's gender was not immediately confirmed.

"Divers broke through the window of a passenger cabin just before midnight and pulled out three bodies," the official said.

The coastguard official said the dead were the same three bodies that had been spotted, but not retrieved, during an earlier dive.

Thirty-six people have been confirmed dead in the disaster, but 266 are still missing.

Read more at ABC.

(ABC/Wires)



BY-ELECTION: Candidate leads as count continues

premium_icon BY-ELECTION: Candidate leads as count continues

Hundreds of Division 10 residents voted on Saturday

MEMORIAL: From a cuppa to a top memorial

premium_icon MEMORIAL: From a cuppa to a top memorial

Ms Bates addressed the crowd at the memorial opening

GALLERY: Fleet blessing lights up to start whale season

premium_icon GALLERY: Fleet blessing lights up to start whale season

The Blessing of the Fleet attracted hundreds

Local Partners