Salinity an issue at Urangan site of planned sports precinct

LAND earmarked for a $54 million sports precinct in Hervey Bay should be a "last resort" for sports fields, a report commissioned by the land's owners has found.

The land, on Booral Rd, is a plantation owned by Wide Bay Water where wastewater is reused to grow trees for Ergon Energy power poles.

WBW commissioned a soil sustainability report for the site earlier this year.

"This area is predisposed to the development of salinity," the report said.

"The existing rehabilitated condition is entirely due to the development of the tree plantation."

Sacked Wide Bay Water chairman Danny Mattson said the council had not had discussions with the board of directors about using the land.

"It was very degraded, like salt pan land," he said.

"As soon as the trees are removed, the salt will come back."

Fraser Coast Council has proposed to swap the precinct site with Wide Bay Water for another more rural site.

The final draft of the master plan shows the council would immediately create a remediation plan to address soil nutrient, toxicity and water logging issues.

Fraser Coast Council chief executive officer Lisa Desmond said it was her understanding the land would be able to be rehabilitated if it was the final site of the precinct.

She said the contracts with Ergon Energy would be allowed to expire.

The master plan for the precinct was opened to the public on Monday.

It shows the council itself identified issues in soil quality and toxicity in 2011.

The plan will remain open for public comment for four weeks.

Atzori falls, supporters bewildered after judges’ decision

Atzori falls, supporters bewildered after judges’ decision

Greg Atzori’s supporters were left in shock after the decision

Wind warnings trigger large-scale fire ban

Wind warnings trigger large-scale fire ban

Fire permits from Bundaberg to the Sunshine Coast are suspended

‘Hi honey, I’ve got two nails in my head’

premium_icon ‘Hi honey, I’ve got two nails in my head’

Man lucky to be alive after surgeons had to drill into his skull.

Local Partners