Susan River's Norm McLean honored for contribution
SUSAN River Homestead's Norm McLean has been recognised for his outstanding contribution to the tourism industry.
At the annual Fraser Coast Tourism Awards for Excellence gala presentation on Friday he won the John Craig-Gardiner Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Individual.
A Fraser Coast Opportunities spokesman said the award acknowledged Norm's passion and long term commitment to the promotion and development of tourism in the Fraser Coast region.
The spokesman said the event,at the Brolga Theatre in Maryborough, was attended by close to 200 tourism and industry professionals.
Fraser Escape Bareboat Charters took out the Best Tourism Business award as well as winning the Marine Tourism and Hosted & Unique Accommodation categories.
Wild Lotus Restaurant and Bar's Joep Dekker was recognised as the Young Tourism Achiever of the Year.
Emeraldene Inn and Eco-Lodge was again the winner of the Best Website award and will next year be inducted into the Fraser Coast Tourism Awards Hall of Fame for that category.
Relish Fraser Coast won the Regional Attractions, Festivals and Events category and Flame Lily Adventures won the hotly contested Adventure Tourism category.
Fraser Coast Opportunities general manager David Spear congratulated all of the entrants and said the awards were a chance to recognise individual tourism operators for their hard work and dedication to the industry.
"In a very busy work schedule it's often hard to find the time to make an application, but for those that do it's a very valuable exercise," he said.
"The awards process is not only a way of receiving recognition for industry excellence and outstanding effort, but also a process of self-reflection and continuous improvement.
'In this respect, while everyone wants to win their category, those that didn't can still be proud of the action they've taken to advance their business performance though the process of competition."
- Innovative Marketing and Promotion: Relish Fraser Coast
- Enivronmental Tourism: Eco Queenslander
- Conference and Meeting Services: Peppers Pier Resort
- Tourism Retailing and General Tourism Services: Kingfisher Bay Resort
- Best Website: Emeraldene Inn & Eco Lodge
- Restaurants, Eateries, Cafes and Wineries: Wild Lotus Restaurant
- Regional Attractions, Festivals and Events: Relish Fraser Coast
- Marine Tourism: Fraser Escape Bareboat Charters
- Tour and Transport Operators: Fraser Explorer Tours
- Adventure Tourism: Flame Lily Adventures
- Caravan Parks and Budget Accommodation: Fraser Coast Top Tourist Park
- Hosted and Unique Accommodation: Fraser Escape Bareboat Charters
- Deluxe and Luxury Accommodation: McNevins Motel Maryborough
- Young Tourism Achiever of the Year: Joep Dekker
- Chairman's Encouragement Awards: Vintner's Secret and Villa Cavour Bed and Breakfast
- Hall of Fame - Environmental Tourism Lady Elliot Island Eco Resort
- Hall of Fame - Tourism Retailing and General Tourism Services: Hervey Bay Airport Visitor Information Centre
- Hall of Fame - Transport Operators: Fraser Island Barges
- Hall of Fame - Budget Accommodation: Kingfisher Court
- Best Tourism Business: Fraser Escape Bareboat Charters
- John Craig-Gardiner Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Individual: Norm McLean