Sweet treat for Robert with mum's recipe in print
SHOW-cooking competitor and champion Robert Ullmann has been trialling winning recipes from the latest Blue Ribbon cookbook where he also gets a mention with his mother's French jellies recipe.
"I've tried the fruit scones recipe already and I don't think they are as good as mine," Mr Ullmann said.
The Maryborough man first entered the Fraser Coast Show more than 20 years ago with a packet mix and is now the chief steward. He also enters into shows in Gympie, Bundaberg, Gold Coast, Murgon, Toowoomba and the Brisbane Ekka.
Mr Ullmann said he was interviewed at the Ekka one year by author Liz Harfull who wanted to talk to country chefs.
The award winning journalist and best-selling author has followed this trend and captured the stories of amateur show cooks from all over the country.
Her new cookbook The Australian Blue Ribbon Cookbook follows hundreds of talented amateurs as they devote hours mastering recipes and preparing entries to enter into cookery competitions run at agricultural shows around the country.
"Fine Arts is a hugely popular competition at the Ekka with a very high standard of cooks entering into the cookery section," she said.
"The quality of cooking at the Ekka and the lovely competitors I met along the way greatly contributed to the book."
Mr Ullmann said he wanted to try the shortbread in a comp.
"I know a lot of the cooks by reputation - they are the opposition." The Australian Blue Ribbon Cookbook is available at all good bookstores or visit allenandunwin.com.
- The Royal Queensland Show (Ekka) is a much-loved community event in Queensland
- For the fourth year running, more than 400,000 people went through the Ekka gates to see the best of Queensland, from the city to the country
- The first Exhibition was held in 1876
- There will be more Ekka than ever in 2014 with the show running over two full weekends - from August 8-17
- Competitions lie at the heart of the Ekka, the show attracts around 21,000 entries across 11,000 classes in 42 competition sections
- Tickets to the 2014 Royal Queensland Show (Ekka) will be on sale from mid-April. For all details head to http://www.ekka.com.au.
- Entries to the Royal Queensland Show Fine Arts Competition will be opening in the coming weeks http://www.royalqueenslandshow.com.au.