Teenage thugs on bail
FOUR teenage boys described by a magistrate as “thugs” have been released on bail despite allegedly bashing two men in an unprovoked attack.
Jason Walter Bishop, Dylan Anthony Hodges, Corey John Lees and Isaac Raymond Sanderson, all 17 years old, appeared in the Maryborough Magistrates Court this week.
They were charged with two counts each of assault occasioning bodily harm in company.
Prosecutor Sergeant Craig Ryan said the gang of four set upon two men who had been sitting outside Rick’s Pies on Kent Street at 2.30am on January 17.
Sgt Ryan said the victims had been enjoying a night out at a local hotel and were sitting on a bench outside the pie shop.
“The defendants made a disparaging remark to the men and then began to surround them and assault them as a group,” Sgt Ryan said.
“The four defendants kicked and punched the men in the face.”
One of the alleged victims suffered a fractured nose and cracked eye socket and is still recovering from the attack.
All four teenage boys have been on bail since being charged and all live with their parents.
Defence solicitor Tammy Kerle said alcohol was a factor in the alleged assault.
Magistrate John Smith considered revoking the bail of the teenagers because of the seriousness of the attack.
“Alcohol-related or not, it’s not acceptable,” he said.
“Pack mentality won’t be tolerated in this community.
“If four people want to get together and act like thugs they shouldn’t be given the opportunity to stay in the community.”
Mr Smith allowed bail to continue with strict curfew and contact conditions.
The case was adjourned for mention in the court on March 9.