INTEREST in Maryborough’s unexplained lights has grown to extraterrestrial proportions, but one man claims he has found a website that will unravel the mystery.
Sceptics and believers alike have been captivated by the lights since they started appearing almost a month ago.
Sightings increased dramatically during the weekend with more than a dozen orange balls blazing across the sky.
“It looked spectacular, like an alien invasion,” Tinana woman Jenny said.
“It was like a string of party lights across the sky, there would have been 50 of them.”
Scores of sky-watchers have seen the glowing orbs and many have tried to capture the images on camera, only to find their pictures failed.
However, Karen Baxter managed to snap a time-lapse shot of the lights as they drifted across the sky on Friday night.
“There was a strong breeze so they were moving fast. I think they looked like candle lights.”
But opinions are still divided as to whether it is a sign of impending doom for Planet Earth, or just pranksters getting out of control.
Nev Pedersen has kept one eye glued to the night sky and the other on an internet search engine, trying to match images of the Maryborough lights to other UFO images.
“I shot a 10-minute video of them so I could compare it to videos on YouTube,” he said.
“I could see about 17 or 18 lights all at one time on Saturday night, between the bell tower and the mobile phone tower.”
But sadly, he has been forced to reach the conclusion the celestial lights have a comparatively mundane background.
“My brother sent me to a website where they are selling them, and they do look exactly like what I’ve seen,” Mr Pedersen said.
“I’m super-disappointed that it’s a hoax. I tried to have an open mind about UFOs.”
The Chinese website, dealextreme.com, advertises KongMing Candle Powered Flying Sky Lanterns to “create a romantic and fantastic atmosphere for your lovers on your date or special days”.
The lights are sold in packs of two for about $5, with free shipping to Australia.
The “sky lanterns”, as they are known, were banned in Australia at the start of February due to fire risks.\