Visitor not-so super
DEBORAH Hannam got the fright of her life when a sneaky serpent slithered into her superannuation files on Monday.
Visiting her stockbroker in Hervey Bay, the Maryborough resident produced an archive box with all her files in it but, when she lifted the lid, the metre-long carpet python was lurking inside.
“I nearly friggin’ freaked,” Ms Hannam said yesterday.
“I said ‘There’s a snake in there’ and then I ran out of the room.
“It wasn’t a dangerous snake but to me it may as well have been.
“I tell you what, I got home last night and closed all the doors and windows. I thought I was going to have nightmares.”
Ms Hannam said she was lucky not to have accidentally touched the snake when she carried the box into Wilson HTM in Pialba.
“Oh God, I think I would’ve had a heart attack,” she said.
She believes the curious creature snuck into the box as it sat on the floor of her home.
“We live on the Mary River and our neighbours tell us they see snakes all the time.
“It was sitting in the back of the car when I drove to Hervey Bay, so I’m glad it didn’t get out then.”
The staff at Wilson HTM were just as unnerved by the reptile.
Investment adviser Ainslee Zervaas found a local snake catcher online.
“She said ‘There’s a fee involved’ and I said ‘I don’t care’,” Ms Hannam said.
“It cost me $50 to get rid of it but I would’ve paid $200.
“I hid behind a chair when the snake catcher put it on the floor.”
Ms Zervaas said the incident was unlike anything the staff had experienced before.
“It was funny and scary at the same time,” she said.
“I just left the room and called the snake whisperer and he aptly handled it.”
Snake catcher Lee Davis said he was amused by how frightened everyone was of the “completely non-venomous” snake.
“Most of them were waiting out the front when I got there,” he said.
Mr Davis said they did the right thing by calling him, as it could be difficult for untrained people to tell if a snake was venomous.
The python was released back into the wild.